[FieldTrip] ft_connectivityanalysis and PLV formula

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Mon Jul 15 10:43:07 CEST 2013

Hi Manuel,

The first formula is correct, the second isn't.
Hint: when working with the complex representation in the second formula you should use a multiplication, rather than a subtraction, and take the negative angle for the second signal.

In other words

exp(1i.*angle(x)) .* exp(-1i.*angle(y)).

This is the same as:

exp(1i.*(angle(x)-angle(y))).

Hope this helps,

Jan-Mathijs

On Jul 8, 2013, at 3:32 PM, Manuel Mercier wrote:

> Dear Fieldtrip Community
> I am still stuck with the implementation of PLV. To be sure that I understand properly the principle of Phase Locking Value, I wrote a code to compute it. That code (see below) gave me the same results as ft_connectivityanalysis.
> plv = squeeze(abs(mean(exp(1i*(angle(data.fourierspctrm(:,electrodes_1,:,:)) -angle(data.fourierspctrm(:,electrode_2,:,:)))),1)));
> (data.fourierspctrm being produced by ft_freqanalysis).
>
> However, I then realized that the subtraction between the two angles should be done in the complex plane as in:
> plv = squeeze(abs(mean(exp(1i*(angle(exp(1i*(angle(data.fourierspctrm(:,electrodes_1,:,:)))) - exp(1i*(angle(data.fourierspctrm(:,electrode_2,:,:))))))),1)));
>
> I doubt that PLV computed through FT is wrong, but then I am circumspect since the first formula is somewhat no correct and give the same results a as ft_connectivityanalysis.
> I went to FT code and got confused by the way ft_connectivity_corr use the cross spectrum to compute PLV.
> I would greatly appreciate if someone could tell me where I am missing/misunderstanding something.
> Thanks you for your help,
>
> Manuel
>

> Manuel Mercier, PhD
> Research Fellow
>
> Cognitive Neurophysiology Laboratory,
> Children’s Evaluation and Rehabilitation Center (CERC),
> Departments of Pediatrics and Neuroscience
> Albert Einstein College of Medicine,
> 1225 Morris Park Avenue
> Bronx , NY 10461

Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,

Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793

http://www.hettaligebrein.nl