[FieldTrip] the right normalsation?

Tom Marshall t.marshall at fcdonders.ru.nl
Thu Jul 4 17:00:44 CEST 2013

Hi Jörn

> My favourite is log(Post#1/Post#2) or taking the z-score.

Could you expand on 'taking the z-score'? This could be interpreted in
different ways, which might control for different sources of variance.

To throw a bit more fuel on this fire... the problem with log ratios -
ie log(post#1/post#2) - is that they ignore the prestimulus period
altogether. That always seemed a bit funny to me. Presumably the brain
response to your event of interest is somehow dependent on the brain
state at the time the event happens ;)

Of course one can independently test the hypothesis that the
prestimulus periods differ, but how to be confident that they do not?