[FieldTrip] why does ft_denoise_synthetic inserts NaNs in grad fields

Alexander Backus a.backus at donders.ru.nl
Fri Jul 5 09:38:55 CEST 2013

Hi,

When I use ft_denoise_synthetic on my preprocessed CTF275 MEG data to
covert to 3rd order gradient, it replaces the values in data.grad.chanpos
and data.grad.chanori with NaNs.

I assume this is done because they are no longer valid.
When digging into the low-level code I found something about mismatching
number of channels.

Anyway, when I want to subsequently covert to planar gradient (does this
actually makes sense?) or create a source model, I need these grad values.

I have two questions:

1) What does ft_denoise_synthetic exactly do (in non-math terms) and why
are NaNs inserted in the grad subfields?

2) Can I still use the data for planar gradient conversion or source
modeling by using the earlier stored old gradient info (pre
ft_denoise_synthetic) or is this ill-advised and is there a more wise
course of action?

Thanks in advance,
Best,
Alexander Backus

--
Alexander R. Backus, MSc
PhD Candidate at the Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour

P.O. Box 9101, NL-6500 HB Nijmegen , The Netherlands
Telephone: +31(0)24 36 10754