[FieldTrip] evoked power greater than total power

Matt Craddock matt.craddock at uni-leipzig.de
Thu Jan 24 23:24:45 CET 2013

On 24/01/2013 22:03, Russell G Port wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am currently trying to understand something and I think fieldtrip
> people will already know whats going on. I run my data, from both
> in-vivo EEG recordings in animals and MEG in children, through
> freqanalysis. I have the strange result though that my total power (in
> either mV^2 or nAm^2) is less than my evoked power. How can this be, if
> total=evoked+induced. I am assuming that something that I have done
> while handling the data is causing this error, but I have check my work
> very carefully. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before, or can
> suggest what I am doing to help point me in the right direction?
>
> Cheers - Russ

Hi Russ,

I'm guessing you mean after baseline correction. Evoked and total have
very different baselines: with evoked power, pre-stim-onset power is
usually pretty much 0, since there shouldn't really be anything
time/phase-locked in this period. That's not the case for total power.
If you're doing relative measures of change from baseline this
difference can be ENORMOUS - for example, I often see evoked power 500
times greater than baseline compared to, say, a 20% increase in total
power (this is in the gamma band range). On the single trial level, the
evoked, such as it is, contributes very little to the overall signal -
averaging out the noise/background/non-phase-locked activity is what
makes it stand out. one way people sometimes isolate induced activity is
to remove the ERP from each trial before doing the TF; if you do it that
way and compare it to total power, you should see that it makes very
little difference (which is one reason why I prefer not to do it,
another being that it rests on a faulty assumption - that the ERP is
stationary and the same on each trial). Basically, there's nothing wrong
here.

Cheers,
Matt
--