[FieldTrip] normalizing EEG power

Frederic Roux f.roux at bcbl.eu
Tue Jan 15 09:36:19 CET 2013

Hi Ingrid,

if the shapes of your power spectra look qualitatively similar and are
simply shifted up or down, you could normalize the power on a
frequency by frequenyc basis by computing z-scores
for each individual within their respective gender
according to:

z(i,f) = (x(i,f) - x_males(f))./sd_males(f); % for males

z(i,f) = (x(i,f) - x_females(f))./sd_females(f); % for females

with x(i,f) being the individual power spectrum, x_males(f) and x_females(f)
being the group mean power spectra for males and females, and sd_males(f) and sd_females(f)
being the standard deviations of the power spectra for each group.

At least this should help to get rid of gender specific differences and you wouldn't
have to normalize your values using total power etc.

Best,

Fred