[FieldTrip] When to detrend/demean

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Mon Jan 7 21:01:34 CET 2013

Hi Ingrid,

Please feel free to update the text in the FAQs ;-). You understand it perfectly so go ahead.

Two tiny remarks from 'spuit elf', as we say in Dutch:

- removing a polynomial of order 1 also takes out the constant term, so it also demeans.
- actually, there is an error in the text of the FAQ, because FT's default behavior is to remove a zero-order polynomial, so it only demeans. If you want detrending, you should either do this in ft_preprocessing, or specify the appropriate option in ft_freqanalysis.

Best wishes,

Jan-Mathijs

On Jan 7, 2013, at 8:31 PM, Ingrid Nieuwenhuis wrote:

> Hi Roemer,
>
> Thanks for pointing to these questions. I'm a little bit confused about the default behavior with cfg.polyremoval as described there. So it seems the default of polyremoval for ft_freqanalysis is 1, meaning detrending always happens unless you specify otherwise, correct? So that means you don't have to call preprocessing with cfg.detrend = 'yes', correct? But you do have to specify cfg.demean = 'yes' in preprocessing? Or does removing the linear trend (which     is the default) in ft_freqanalysis automatically also demean the data? From the text under the figure in http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/faq/why_does_my_tfr_look_strange it almost looks that way. Because it talks about cfg.polyremoval in the context of demeaning, not detrending. I don't find that text very clear by the way. Also, the title above the figure says "TFR before (left) and after (right) subtracting the DC component in the time domain", while when I look at the code it seems it should be "TFR of channel with large DC component (left) and channel without DC component (right) after ft_freqanalysis without demeaning". I'd be happy to update the FAQ, but first wanted to check whether I     understand correctly :)
>
> Cheers,
> Ingrid
>

> On 1/7/2013 4:28 AM, Roemer van der Meij wrote:
>> Hi Vitoria,
>>
>> I have only one thing to add to Ingrid's clear explanation. For frequency analysis, it's mostly a matter of noise. If you do not demean, the 0Hz been can bleed into all other frequency bins in a funny but patterned way. For detrending, the same story applies. When not detrending, the power of the center frequency of the linear trend (this frequency is very low), can bleed into other bins.
>>
>> The FAQs have two great example on this:
>> http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/faq/why_does_my_tfr_look_strange
>> http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/faq/why_does_my_tfr_look_strange_part_ii
>>
>> Both are specific for when using 'mtmconvol' as frequency method (why this is so is explained shortly in the first FAQ), although in principle the issues could also occur using the other methods.
>>
>> Hope it helps!
>>
>> All the best,
>> Roemer
>>

>> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 3:24 AM, Ingrid Nieuwenhuis <inieuwenhuis at berkeley.edu> wrote:
>> Hi Vitoria,
>>
>> The problem with these things is, it depends on what your interested in (hypothesis) and which methods you're using to analyze the data (ERP or frequanalysis, with our without ICA). All analysis steps have different pro and cons, so depending on your hypotheses and effects, what's good in one setup can be bad in the next. So you have to think of what the measures do, and how that effects your data.

> [...]

Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,

Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793