[FieldTrip] When to detrend/demean

Ingrid Nieuwenhuis inieuwenhuis at berkeley.edu
Sun Jan 6 03:24:56 CET 2013

Hi Vitoria,

The problem with these things is, it depends on what your interested in
(hypothesis) and which methods you're using to analyze the data (ERP or
frequanalysis, with our without ICA). All analysis steps have different
pro and cons, so depending on your hypotheses and effects, what's good
in one setup can be bad in the next. So you have to think of what the
measures do, and how that effects your data.

But now for some answers :) I'm just using a lot of experience and some
common sense, maybe people can add in some refs and math if they know :)
Demeaning just subtracts the mean of the specified time window (or
indeed whole trial) from all samples
detrending removes linear trend (you can also remove higher order
trends, just for completeness)

For ERPs you generally do want to demean using the baseline window, so
the effect cancels out pre-stim. You don't want to detrend here, since
often the ERP can have late components, and the signal might not be back
to baseline yet. If you detrend in such a case, you will decrease the
value samples late in the trials and increase the values during
baseline. You will tilt the data (end down thus start up). But if you
expect a linear trend due to equipment drift over longer time, that can
muddle the ERP effect, then you might want to detrend. Also when the
signal is noisy (high amplitude noise) at the end (due to speach
artifacts), detrending might be dangerous.

For frequency analysis, demeaning has (as far as I know) no effect,
since subtracting a constant does not change the frequency info in the
signal. I know people do tend to detrend before freq analysis (so I also
tend to do that), but I have to admit, I don't know why really. Maybe to
get rid of the drift, so it does not end up in the low frequencies. But
again, the effect of detrending (which freqs it affects) depends how
long your time window is, and which frequencies your interested in. If
you are interested in really low frequencies, detrending might change
your effects.

Hope this helps somewhat,
Ingrid