[FieldTrip] MNE fiff_read / write_raw_segment

Alexandre Gramfort alexandre.gramfort at inria.fr
Sun Jan 27 10:49:56 CET 2013

hi Peter,

> The size of the input file is ~2gb but when
> writing, the output is approx ~18gb. I suspect I'm writing a WHOLE bunch of
> redundant data, but am unable to open the new file, even on a machine
> running 16gb RAM.

what is likely to happen is that the matlab code writes data as double precision
while the original neuromag data were in float 16. Note that a single fif file
cannot exceed 2Go due to internal pointer arithmetic otherwise it will
be broken.
What you can do is hack the fif writing to make sure it's written back
in float16.

Best,
Alex