[FieldTrip] evoked power greater than total power

Russell G Port russgport at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 23:07:35 CET 2013

So my script generally goes preprocessing:

cfg.trialfun='ft_trialfun_general'

cfg.trialdef.eventvalue=65

cfg.trialdef.prestim=1

cfg.trialdef.poststim=2

cfg.trialdef.eventtype='untitled'

cfg=ft_definetrial(cfg)

cfg.demean='yes'

cfg.outputfile= -------

data=ft_preprocessing(cfg)

then from this output I do two different things, first I produced the time
locked data:

[timelock] = ft_timelockanalysis(cfg, data)

For this new variable I then run the ft_freqanalysis with the following
settings:

cfg.method='wavelet'

cfg.toi=[-.8:0.001666666666666667:1.5]

cfg.foi= 5:0.95:100

cfg.width=3:0.03:6

cfg.polyremoval=-1

and so this gives me the evoked power

for the total power instead i take the data from the preprocessing function
(called data above) and repeat the exact same frequency transformation
(same cfg setting/same called function)

Once this is done, I convert both to dB scale using freqbaseline (-.2 to 0)
and perforimg log10*10 operation of the data. Its here where suddenly total
power is less than evoked power. I assume then its the baseline correction
(since the total power has considerably more baseline activity (activity in
the -.2 to 0 time window)) that creates an 'artificially' lower total power
to evoked power.