[FieldTrip] evoked power greater than total power

Russell G Port russgport at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 22:03:05 CET 2013

Hi All,

I am currently trying to understand something and I think fieldtrip people
will already know whats going on. I run my data, from both in-vivo EEG
recordings in animals and MEG in children, through freqanalysis. I have the
strange result though that my total power (in either mV^2 or nAm^2) is less
than my evoked power. How can this be, if total=evoked+induced. I am
assuming that something that I have done while handling the data is causing
this error, but I have check my work very carefully. Has anyone ever seen
anything like this before, or can suggest what I am doing to help point me
in the right direction?

Cheers - Russ