[FieldTrip] EEG preprocessing

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Fri Jan 11 09:37:35 CET 2013

Hi Subbu,

To follow up on David's reply: when you use the ft_resampledata function, the data is also automatically low-passfiltered to avoid aliasing.
Highpass filtering is not necessary to avoid aliasing, but in general helps to make the data better behaved at the edges, which avoids ringing of the low-pass filter.

On Jan 11, 2013, at 4:36 AM, David Groppe wrote:

> You need to low-pass filter the data before downsaple to avoid aliasing.
> The matlab function decimate.m can do this for you.
>   cheers,
>     -David
>
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Narayan Iyer <eeguser at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a question on EEG preprocessing. The sampling rate of my 64 channel
>> EEG data is 500 Hz and I would like to down-sample this to 256 Hz or 128 Hz.
>> My question is, i it advisable to low-pass filter the data first (70 Hz) and
>> then down-sample  followed by high-pass filter (0.5 Hz) to avoid aliasing
>> effect  or should I down-sample first and then band-pass filter the data
>> (0.5-70 Hz) ? Or does the sequence really matter ?
>> I am new to EEG data analysis so this question might be really basic, but
>> any help is highly appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks
>> Subbu

> --
> David Groppe, Ph.D.
> Postdoctoral Researcher
> North Shore LIJ Health System
> New Hyde Park, New York
> http://www.cogsci.ucsd.edu/~dgroppe/

Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,

Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793