[FieldTrip] 回复: Re: When to detrend/demean

Roemer van der Meij r.vandermeij at donders.ru.nl
Mon Jan 7 13:42:37 CET 2013

Hi Lin,

You are right, up to some extent they are the same. Removing the linear
trend can also be achieved by using a high-pass filter. The 'center
frequency' of the linear trend depends on the length of the trial, a
high-pass filter of a sufficiently high frequency will also remove the
linear trend, and everything below it in terms of frequency as well. What
'sufficiently high' is, depends on which type of filter you are using and
at which order. A butterworth filter of order 4 and with a cutt-off at
(1/trial-length)*2 should in most cases be enough (do note that most
filters become very unstable when the cutt-off frequency is too low).

On frequency-analysis, please see my reply to Vitoria where I explain a
little bit why you should at least demean and detrend your raw-data (the
FAQs I link to are more verbose). Other filtering I would suggest is to
filter out line-noise. This kind of noise is most common at 50 or 60 Hz
depending on which continent you live, but can also occur at other
frequencies. A bandstop butterworth filter of order 4 and a bin of 1 Hz
surrounding it (e.g 49.5 <-> 50.5) will be fine most of the time. You can
also opt not to filter this out and only look at frequencies away from the
line-spectra, but keep in mind that the bleeding will always occur at all
frequencies. Distance will decrease it, but if the noise is sufficiently
strong it will bleed in (whether a channel is any good if it has humongous
line-noise is another thing).

Hope it helps,
Roemer

Roemer van der Meij M.Sc.