[FieldTrip] When to detrend/demean

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 12:07:09 CET 2013

Hi Vitoria,

This is not exactly my area of expertise, but I just wanted to point
out that in other speech production ERP research I'm familiar with
(such as bereitschaftspotential experiments--e.g. McArdle et al.,
2009, in Clinical Neuropsychology), a baseline period somewhere before
the onset of motor activity is used. (For instance, that paper used
[-3 -2.5] relative to the onset of articulator movement.)

However, if you're using ICA, there is an argument that ICA does
better when you use the whole epoch as the baseline (or at least use a
pretty long baseline) or do no baseline correction at all (David
Groppe has a paper on this, Groppe et al. 2009 in NeuroImage); see
e.g. http://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2010/003539.html.

Best,
Steve Politzer-Ahles

--