[FieldTrip] Support Vector Machine (SVM) for classification of EEG data

"Jörn M. Horschig" jm.horschig at donders.ru.nl
Fri Feb 15 08:04:38 CET 2013

Dear Alan,

you should probably start off with going through our tutorials:
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/tutorial/

And for you especially
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/tutorial/multivariateanalysis

There are lots of different approaches for feature extraction or reduce
feature space, but what works wors best for your data is something you
have to test yourself. When you've read the tutorials you probably got a
pretty got overview of what is possible in FieldTrip and that you can
easily test what you asked for yourself without having others send you
their code (you just have to replace a few keywords from the tutorial to
test a different method). If you have more specific questions, feel free
to ask again.

Best,
Jörn

On 2/15/2013 1:58 AM, Leggitt, Alan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to field trip and I am interested in using a support vector
> machine to classify EEG data. I see that field trip has svm code
> through the DLMT toolbox. Has anyone had any experience with this and
> would be willing to share their code for adapting EEG data to use as
> inputs to the svm class? My current understanding is that others use
> ICA to extract features to use in the svm. Are there other techniques
> for feature extraction?
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> Regards,
> Alan