[FieldTrip] questions itc/plf calculation via hilbert transformations

Eelke Spaak eelke.spaak at donders.ru.nl
Fri Dec 6 07:18:47 CET 2013

Hi Russ,

The imaginary part of a complex number (i.e. the 'b' in 'a+b*i') is very
different from the phase (i.e. the 'p' in 'A*exp(i*p)'). When computing
ITC, the expression z = z / abs(z) sets the amplitude (A) to 1, while
preserving the phase. This is not the same as taking the imaginary par.

To be able to later compute the ITC, I would actually just use cfg.hilbert
= 'complex', and then do the exact same computations as with your wavelet
approach. Using cfg.hilbert = 'angle' gives you the angle (in radians)
directly, so a real number. This is more difficult (and slow) to work with
than using the normalized complex representation.

Hope this helps,
Best,
Eelke