[FieldTrip] Filtering before epoching

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Tue Dec 10 08:57:34 CET 2013

Hi Matt,

Yes, it's possible. The only thing you should change in your approach is step 3: use ft_redefinetrial, rather than ft_preprocessing

So:

1. Preprocessing step on continuous data with filtering.
cfg=[];
cfg.dataset  = 'raw_data.fif';
cfg.bpfilter  = 'yes';
cfg.bpfreq    = [a b];
data = ft_preprocessing(cfg);

2. Define trial.

cfg = [];
cfg.dataset = 'blabla';
cfg.trialdef.xxx etc some settings here.
cfg   =  ft_definetrial(cfg);

trl = cfg.trl;

3. Preprocessing step for epoching data on filtered data.

cfg = [];
cfg.trl = trl;
final_data = ft_redefinetrial(cfg,data);

Best,
JM

On Dec 9, 2013, at 6:31 PM, Matthieu Rolland wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Is it possible to filter data prior to epoching? And more generally is it possible to epoch data that has already been preprocessed?
>
> I have tried without success many variations of this:
>
> 1. Preprocessing step on continuous data with filtering.
> cfg=[];
> cfg.dataset  = 'raw_data.fif';
> cfg.bpfilter  = 'yes';
> cfg.bpfreq    = [a b];
> data = ft_preprocessing(cfg);
>
> 2. Define trial.
> cfg   =  ft_definetrial(cfg);
>
> 3. Preprocessing step for epoching data on filtered data.
> final_data = ft_preprocessing(cfg,data);
>

> Thank you for your help.
> Matt

Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,

Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793

http://www.hettaligebrein.nl