[FieldTrip] question on TF analysis

Narayan Puthanmadam Subramaniyam narayan.ps at tut.fi
Wed Dec 18 14:39:16 CET 2013

Dear FT experts

I have ERP data ranging from -200 ms to 1198 ms at sampling frequency of 500
Hz (Totally 700 samples). I would like to use wavelets to analyze TF between
1 to 30 Hz.

I have never used wavelets so I did some reading on them and figured out
that for analyzing high frequency wavelet cycles of 5 or more is good.

However, my analysis is confined to relatively low frequency bands (1-4,
4-8, 8-13 and 13-30). How should I make the choice for number of cycles so
that I can have clear picture of what is happening at these bands ? Plus my
epoch has only 700 time points, so I assume having few cycles will increase
the window length at low frequency and thus I loose time info ?

Best regards

Narayan