[FieldTrip] slow reading with ft_preprocessing of a fcdc_matbin file?

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Thu Aug 29 14:01:59 CEST 2013

Hi Ben,

I guess MATLAB needs to read in the whole datafile each time (for each channel). What about creating separate files for each channel?

JM

On Aug 29, 2013, at 1:53 PM, van Lier Ben wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a pretty big data file of 120 channels for 20min continuous at 20khz. clearly i need to downsample. to do so, i convert the original file to fcdc_matbin, creating a 22gb bin file with all the data.
>
> then its time for downsampling as shown on http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/faq/how_can_i_preprocess_a_dataset_that_is_too_large_to_fit_into_memory
>
> this is very slow. ft_preprocessing takes 230 seconds per channel (using 380 mb), doing nothing but just reading 1 channel. the subsequent downsampling with ft_resample to 1khz is surprisingly fast with only 4 seconds.
>
> does that make any sense? it seems like a very long time to read in 380mb... :(
>
> Best,
> Ben

Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,

Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793

http://www.hettaligebrein.nl