[FieldTrip] source analysis EEG data without MRI

"Jörn M. Horschig" jm.horschig at donders.ru.nl
Tue Apr 9 08:37:13 CEST 2013

Hi Ingrid,

I just happen to done this a few weeks back, I changed things in the
meanwhile, but I hope that the below steps are complete:
/% read in the template MRI
     if isunix
       mri =
ft_read_mri('/home/common/matlab/fieldtrip/external/spm8/templates/T1.nii');
     elseif ispc
       mri = ft_read_mri(fullfile('M:', 'FieldTrip', 'trunk',
'external', 'spm8', 'templates', 'T1.nii'));
     end

% segment the MRI
cfg           = [];
cfg.output    = {'brain'  'skull'  'scalp'};
segmentedmri  = ft_volumesegment(cfg, mris);

% create the headmodel (BEM)
cfg        = [];
%cfg.method ='openmeeg'; % TODO FIXME download openmeeg
if isunix
   cfg.method ='dipoli'; % dipoli only works under linux
else
   disp('TODO FIXME stick to dipoli for now or download openmeeg\n');
   keyboard;
end
hdm        = ft_prepare_headmodel(cfg, segmentedmri);

elec       = ft_read_sens('standard_1020.elc');
hdm        = ft_convert_units(hdm, elec.unit);

   cfg = [];
   cfg.grid.xgrid  = -125:8:125;
   cfg.grid.ygrid  = -125:8:125;
   cfg.grid.zgrid  = -125:8:125;
   cfg.grid.tight  = 'yes';
   cfg.grid.unit   = hdm.unit;
   cfg.inwardshift = -1.5;
   cfg.vol        = hdm;
   grid  = ft_prepare_sourcemodel(cfg)
   grid        = ft_convert_units(grid, elec.unit);

figure;
hold on;
ft_plot_mesh(hdm.bnd(1), 'facecolor',[0.2 0.2 0.2], 'facealpha', 0.3,
'edgecolor', [1 1 1], 'edgealpha', 0.05);
ft_plot_mesh(grid.pos(grid.inside, :));

% this step is not necessary, cause you will see that everything is
already aligned
   cfg           = [];
   cfg.method    = 'interactive';
   cfg.elec      = elec;
   cfg.headshape = hdm.bnd(1);
   tmp  = ft_electroderealign(cfg);
   elec = tmp; % I had a bug here that I couldn't assign elec directly

%% verify location of occipital electrodes

occ_elec = elec;
occ_chan = ft_channelselection({'O*', 'PO*', 'Cz*', 'Fz*'}, elec.label);
occ_idx = match_str(elec.label, occ_chan);
occ_elec.chanpos = occ_elec.chanpos(occ_idx, :);
occ_elec.elecpos = occ_elec.elecpos(occ_idx, :);
occ_elec.label = occ_elec.label(occ_idx, :);
figure;
ft_plot_sens(occ_elec)
hold on;
ft_plot_vol(ft_convert_units(hdm, elec.unit))/

Afair, that's all that is needed. Of course you need to adjust folder
and file names.

Greetings
Jörn

--