[FieldTrip] source analysis EEG data without MRI

Lilla.Magyari at mpi.nl Lilla.Magyari at mpi.nl
Mon Apr 15 13:05:36 CEST 2013

hi Ingrid,

FieldTrip segments the skull by a rough estimation: when it finds the
brain surface, it extends it with using an image processing function of
matlab. We have found this good enough for the BEM model, but in your
case, maybe it is not satisfactory. But you can overlay the segmentation
with the anatomy of the mri image with ft_sourceplot and check it at the
coordinates of your electrodes and you can see then whether your skull
segmentation should be extended or corrected. If you use the tutorial
data, you can download the mri and the already made segmentation.

I do not know exactly how other software are doing the segmentation of the
skull, but you can find a plot of the brain, skull and scalp surfaces
using FieldTrip and FreeSurfer on this page,
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/development/replicate_functionality_of_mne_software#anatomical_processingeeg
when you scroll a bit down .

None of them seems to exactly fit to your need, but maybe there are other
software (or FS has also a different algorithm?) which segments the skull
and bone more precisely. Otherwise, it is also OK to correct the
segmentation manually. Unfortunately, FieldTrip doesn't have an editing
function for the segmentation yet. Therefore, I was suggesting to work
with the matlab image processing toolbox functions.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Lilla