[FieldTrip] A postdoc position in developing methods for MEG with atomic magnetometers

Robert Oostenveld r.oostenveld at donders.ru.nl
Mon Sep 3 23:02:21 CEST 2012

Dear Avniel (CC to the FieldTrip list)

Thanks for announcing this interesting post doc position. Last week at the Biomag conference I attended the atomic/optical magnetic field sensor symposium and was very impressed with the progress that was presented.

With respect to some of the tasks you outline (see below), I think that there is quite some overlap with the methods used in squid based MEG technology.  E.g., the volume conduction modelling and forward solutions relate the equivalent current dipole strength in the model head to magnetic field strength outside the head. This is independent of the sensor technology, although the precise sensor geometry is of course different (as it also is between the various MEG systems). See for example http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/faq/how_are_electrodes_magnetometers_or_gradiometers_described. The noise characteristics of the atomic magnetometers themselves will at the moment also be quite different for that of a squid-based system, but once the S/N gets good enough, a large fraction of the noise will be environmental and biological, again resulting in similar methods being applicable to deal with those parts of the noise (especially when compared to the magnetometer channels in some of the presently used MEG systems).

I hope that it will be possible to develop methods for atomical magnetometer based MEG in close collaboration with the methods that are used and developed for conventional MEG. Actually it would be cool to implement support for the data formats that are being used by you and in Princeton in the FieldTrip toolbox. I believe that this would facilitate working together, not specifically with the Donders Institute in Nijmegen, but rather with the MEG field as a whole. It would also allow your data to be processed in the other large open source toolboxes (such as SPM and Nutmeg), as these all share the same data access functions and sensor representation. At the moment FieldTrip supports MEG data from about 15  different MEG systems (3x BTi, 2x Neuromag, 4x CTF, 4x Yokogawa, 2x ITAB, ranging from adult MEG to fetal MCG and even rodent MEG) and provides data processing and source reconstruction for all of them. Adding support for your data format and sensor arrangements is something that we could provide assistance with.

I hope you will be able to attract a good candidate for the position and that the new atomic sensor technology will soon become available to the whole MEG community.

best regards
Robert

Robert Oostenveld, PhD
Senior Researcher & MEG Physicist