[FieldTrip] ICA question

Eelke Spaak eelke.spaak at donders.ru.nl
Mon Oct 29 10:49:12 CET 2012

Dear Nenad,

If you do not specify a cfg.channel in your call to
ft_componentanalysis, it will default to 'all'. So, if your data
structure contains EOG channels, they will be used in the
decomposition with no further action required on your part.

If your data is MEG, however, I don't know whether it is wise to
attempt an ICA on the joint data set, including EOG. It is not
standard practice here at the Donders, at least. One possibility to
combine EOG and MEG/ICA data is to correlate your MEG component time
courses with the EOG signal, and then inspect the most highly
correlated components and (if inspection reveals them to be
artifactual) remove them. This hybrid automatic/manual approach seems
to be quite efficient in getting rid of eye artifacts.

But perhaps you can combine them after all; if someone has a more
informed opinion about this please let me know. (Another possibility
is that the story is different for EEG and EOG combined.)

Best,
Eelke