[FieldTrip] problem with ft_freqanalysis

"Jörn M. Horschig" jm.horschig at donders.ru.nl
Fri Oct 19 12:13:32 CEST 2012

Hey Nenad,

the problem is simply that in the beginning of your TFR there are nans
and you are using that part as a baseline.
You cannot have a 0.5s timewindow at t=-0.5s up until t=0s when your
preprocessed data starts at t=-0.5s, you would need preprocessed
starting at -1s. When plotting, you chose to use a baseline which starts
within the nan area, so all your data will be substracted with nans
resulting in nans itself.

Three solution possible:
1) Use a baseline outside the nan area (for you t>=0)
2) Re-do your processing starting at t=-1s or
3) Use shorter time windows for your freq analysis of only 300ms
(because then your baseline starting at 200ms would work, since 500-300
= 200)

I'd recommend the second one - always use data padding when doing analysis.

Best regards,
Jörn

On 10/19/2012 11:46 AM, Nenad Polomac wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have one problem with the ft_freqanalysis. When I calculate
> time-frequency analysis with the Hanning taper everything works ok,
> but when I try to plot data with ft_multiplotTFR or ft_topoplotTFR I
> get empty plots. You can check that in the attached image. However,
> when I calculate time-frequency with the multitapers plot looks  fine.
> Here is my problematic code:
>

> %Hanning taper
> cfg              = [];
> cfg.output       = 'pow';
> cfg.channel      = 'MEG';
> cfg.method       = 'mtmconvol';
> cfg.taper        = 'hanning';
> cfg.foi          = 2:2:30;
> cfg.t_ftimwin    = ones(length(cfg.foi),1).*0.5;   % length of time
> window = 0.5 sec
> cfg.toi          = -0.5:0.05:1.5;                  % time window
> "slides" from -0.5 to 1.5 sec in steps of 0.05 sec
> cfg.polyremoval = -1;
> wr11_freq = ft_freqanalysis(cfg, data_clean);
>

> cfg = [];
> cfg.baseline     = [-0.2 -0.1];
> cfg.baselinetype = 'absolute';
> cfg.zlim         = [-4e-29 1e-28];