[FieldTrip] lambda regularization using Neuromag data

Hyojin Park hjpark05 at snu.ac.kr
Tue Oct 23 16:06:10 CEST 2012

Dear all,

I'm working on LCMV beamforming using Neuromag data applied with Maxfilter.

I am using 204 gradiometer sensors.

I have rank deficiency problem, maybe because of Maxfilter since it reduces
the rank.

When I checked the data, the rank is 60.

I removed EOG and ECG components using ICA.

2 or 3 components in sum in most subjects.

So for some, the rank is 58, for some, it's 57.

When I tested with different lambda from 0% to 10%, (or above, even 100%), I
got the same warning ('covariance matrix is rank deficient').

Does anyone have suggestions for which lambda is most appropriate in this
case? Or any other useful advice/experience for how to apply beamforming in
combination with Maxfilter?

Thank you in advance.

Hyojin Park