[FieldTrip] Problem with TFR calculation using multitaper

Matt Craddock matt.craddock at uni-leipzig.de
Fri Nov 16 16:50:06 CET 2012

Dear Andreas and Frederic,

Another possibility would be a 60 Hz signal (a steady-state evoked
potential to monitor refresh rate, for example) running throughout the
trial, including in the baseline period. Given that you're using 11 Hz
frequency smoothing, this would effectively be smeared across the 49-71
Hz range.

You'd have a much higher baseline signal in the 49-71 Hz range (because
of the 60 Hz signal appearing in all those frequencies), but the
strength of the actual signal in those ranges wouldn't differ. So, the
signal-to-baseline ratio would be much lower (because your
signal-to-noise ratio is worse), and that'd created the appearance of
boundaries at the edges of the frequency smoothing (because at 71 Hz you
are still getting the 60Hz noise, but at 72Hz, you are not, so your
signal-to-noise ratio dramatically changes).

I've attached a pic showing something similar caused by 50 Hz line noise
(in EEG, with ~12Hz freq smoothing).

So I'd suggest checking the FFT of your data and possibly putting in a
notch at 60 Hz if there's a big peak there.

Cheers,
Matt

--
Dr. Matt Craddock