[FieldTrip] correction for movement tool

McGowin, Inna mcgoiv0 at wfu.edu
Wed Nov 14 14:31:15 CET 2012

Hello Arjen,
Thanks for the links on the head motion correction.
Could you please point a source or a reference on which the FieldTrip head
motion correction method is based? Is it expansion of magnetic scalar
potential in spherical harmonics or some other method? How accurate is the
correction and what are the limitations for its application; in other words
does it correct for motion up to 3 cm or beyond?

What is the minimum motion that does not need to be corrected, for example
we allow 5 mm?

Thanks,
Inna

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 5:07 AM, Stolk, A. <a.stolk at fcdonders.ru.nl> wrote:

> Hi Nenad,
>

> There are a few (online and offline) tools implemented in FieldTrip to
> deal with head movements in MEG.
>

> For instance, have a look here:
>

> http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/example/how_to_incorporate_head_movements_in_meg_analysis
>

> ft_regressconfound is particularly useful for removing trial-by-trial
> variance from the data that can be explained by head movements. We found it
> to have a significant impact on statistical sensitivity.
>

> At our institute, we use a real-time head localizer to reposition the
> subject between and within sessions (prevent/minimalize different head
> positions).
>

> http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/faq/how_can_i_monitor_a_subject_s_head_position_during_a_meg_session
>

> Currently, it is implemented only for CTF systems (with the continous head
> localization upgrade) but we are working on extending its implementation to
> other systems.
>

> Yours,
>
> Arjen

Inna McGowin