[FieldTrip] subspace projection

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Tue Nov 6 14:49:36 CET 2012

Hi Jan,

You can look up the rationale in the work of Kensuke Sekihara. Look for 'eigenspace beamformer'. The implementation in FieldTrip is along these lines (but slightly differently implemented).

Best wishes,

Jan-Mathijs

On Nov 6, 2012, at 2:34 PM, <Jan.Hirschmann at med.uni-duesseldorf.de> <Jan.Hirschmann at med.uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:

> Dear fieldtrip community,
>
> In LCMV beamforming there is an option cfg.lcmv.subspace=X. Does anyone have experience or recommendations regarding this option? Is there a publication in which the rationale is described? From looking at the code it seems that data and lead field are projected onto a subspace spanned by the first X singular vectors of the covariance matrix (correct me if I’m wrong). Seems helpful in my case but I am hesitant to use it without knowing anything about it.
>
> Thanks for any comment!
> Jan
>
> --
> Jan Hirschmann
> MSc Neuroscience
> Institute of Clinical Neuroscience and Medical Psychology
> Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf
> Universitätsstr. 1
> 40225 Düsseldorf
> Germany
> Tel: +49 (0)211 81 18415
> Fax: +49 (0)211 81 19033

Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,

Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793