[FieldTrip] problems with construction of grids for individual subjects

Maria Rieder rieder at med.uni-frankfurt.de
Tue Nov 27 14:23:42 CET 2012

Dear fieldtrip users,

I have 2 questions regarding the construction of grids for individual
subjects.

This is the code I used (the template was build according to the
tutorial "Create MNI-aligned grids..."):

cfg = [];

cfg.write= 'no';

cfg.coordsys= 'ctf';

[segmentedmri] = ft_volumesegment(cfg, mri);

cfg = [];

cfg.method='singleshell';% or single sphere model

vol = ft_prepare_headmodel(cfg, segmentedmri);

cfg = [];

cfg.grid.warpmni= 'yes';

cfg.grid.template= template_grid;

cfg.grid.nonlinear = 'yes'; % use non-linear normalization

cfg.mri= mri;

grid= ft_prepare_sourcemodel(cfg);

1.It turns out that my script works quite well for most of my subjects,
but in case of one single subject I obtain a curious grid which has no
grid point in the region of the occipital cortex/cerebellum (2^nd figure
plotted in red). As you can see in the first figure the subjects mri
look good and also do the template grid (2^nd figure plotted in green).
I'm wondering what went wrong. So what options do I have if the
warping/transform algorithm goes wrong?

2.Why is the template rotated and shifted when comparing it to the
subjects grid (2^nd figure bottom right)?

Thank you in advance,
Maria