[FieldTrip] correction for movement tool

Stolk, A. a.stolk at fcdonders.ru.nl
Wed Nov 14 15:57:26 CET 2012

Hi Inna, You're welcome. The offline compensation method suggested (ft_regressconfound) is based on general linear modeling, and not on the  signal space separation method (Taulu et al., 2005, MaxFilter, Neuromag - not implemented in FieldTrip) you are referring to. Head movements blur the topography of the neuronal sources of the MEG signal, increase localization errors, and reduce statistical sensitivity. This GLM-based method is geared to improve statistical sensitivity rather than t opographical blurring and localization bias.  More specifically, it does not interpolate/extrapolate the magnetic field distribution measured by the sensor array to a magnetic field distribution that would have been measured had the sensors been at a desired location. Instead, it removes head movement related trial-by-trial variance from the data, by incorporating head position time-series into a general linear model.   A recently performed study (*) showed that this method improves statictical sensitivity without changing the pattern of activity. This is useful when you're testing an hypothesis, derived from a cognitive research question, because it reduces the risk of false negatives. With respect to your question; in case you are particularly interested in reducing  localization bias, I could recommend you to have a look at Uutela et al., NeuroImage, 2001. The forward calculation correction method suggested there incorporates head position information into the source reconstruction procedure. This method is implemented as ft_headmovement in FieldTrip. I cannot give you any numbers except from the ones reported there, but for all offline methods it holds that you need to be able to  measure the magnetic field distribution in order to know (and interpolate)   it. Hope this answered your question a bit. Feel free to ask more details. Yours, arjen (*) Stolk, Todorovic, Schoffelen & Oostenveld. Online and offline tools for head movement compensation in MEG. NeuroImage, accepted pending revisions. ----- Oorspronkelijk bericht -----