[FieldTrip] 'rule of thumb' for defining how many independent components to analyze for EEG?

Eelke Spaak eelke.spaak at donders.ru.nl
Tue Nov 6 20:03:44 CET 2012

Dear Ellie,

In addition to Arnaud's comment; if your question is how much
components you should specify in your cfg.numcomponent parameter, I
would suggest to just leave it at the default ('all'). This will give
you as many components as their are channels in your data. Typically,
specifying anything less than that will just lead to a number of
components (the ones explaining least variance) being discarded.

Best,
Eelke