[FieldTrip] 'rule of thumb' for defining how many independent components to analyze for EEG?

Eleanor Harding harding at cbs.mpg.de
Tue Nov 6 17:31:54 CET 2012

Dear Fieldtrip community,

I intend to run ICA on an EEG dataset with 64 channels (+ 2 eye channels), on epochs which are about 4 seconds long, and I am unsure as to how many independent components I should define (20,65,..?).

My question is, is there a 'rule of thumb' for defining how many independent components to analyze for EEG? In the archives I have found only references to MEG datasets with many channels, for example reducing over 200 channels to 80 components. Looking in the literature today I also wasn't able to interpret an answer.

If anyone has any information, references, or other input I would be much obliged.

Thanks,
Ellie

Eleanor Harding
PhD Student
Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences
Stephanstraße 1A, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Phone: +49 341 9940-2268
Fax: +49 341 9940 2260
http://www.cbs.mpg.de/~harding