[FieldTrip] cfg.trialfun in realtime functions

Stephen Whitmarsh stephen.whitmarsh at gmail.com
Thu May 10 14:51:56 CEST 2012

Dear Hamza,

The trialfunction is an integral part of processing data in FieldTrip.
It is how you define your timepoints of interest, i.e. trials based on
recorded markers in your data, or based on user-defined events (e.g.
sleep stages).

If you are not yet familiar with the basic FieldTrip operations the
documentation of the realtime analysis  might indeed seem somewhat
inadequate as it assumes this familiarity. FieldTrip's online analysis
tools are using many of the same functions of the offline ones, and
has a similar overall philosophy and approach. This makes it
relatively easy to understand and to use online analysis approach once
one is familiar with the offline one. Alas this translation is
assymmetric and doesn't hold for the other way around.

The good news is, however, that everything is there to get you on your
way once your take a little detour. You could take a look at the
tutorial documentation (http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/tutorial) and
get a bit of hands-on working through some steps with the supplied
tutorial-data.

Specifically for your question these pages would be relevant:
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/example/getting_started_with_reading_raw_eeg_or_meg_data
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/tutorial/preprocessing
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/tutorial/continuous

For more overview and general operations I would advice reading through:
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/walkthrough

Most of all it might not be a bad idea to start with a pre-recorded
dataset and work on it offline, using the more standard and more
extensively documented offline functions for e.g. trial based
averaging. Once that works out for you can adapt it to the realtime
situation.

Hope this helps,
Stephen