[FieldTrip] megrealign across runs/sessions

Robert Oostenveld r.oostenveld at donders.ru.nl
Thu May 31 14:30:52 CEST 2012

Dear Marc,

In principle it is not different to realign the MEG data from three sessions if those sessions were recorded on the same subject (as in your case) or in three different subjects (or a larger number of subjest, as the more common usage scenario). The way you use the function is also correct. However, you should not interpret the residual variance as a measure of the quality of the realignment procedure. The realignment does not know the ground truth, so cannot tell how the attempted realignment matches with the ground truth. It only expresses the difference in the data when the data is compared between original and template position (and when the realignment is repeated but then inversely).

An important aspect however is that you should be careful with applying source reconstruction on the realigned data. In general I would recommend against it, especially if you are planning to apply a beamformer afterwards. The realignment works by making a crude source estimation on on a sheet that is just in the outer grey matter. That crude source estimate (which is a minimum norm estimate with a slight bit of regularization) affects the spatial correlations (i.e. between channels) in the data. Consequently, subsequent source reconstruction might not be able to pick up the spatial correlation any more and might mislocalize. Better (although not always possible) is to source reconstruct the three conditions separate and then combine them.

best
Robert