[FieldTrip] change radiological to neurological convention

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Thu May 31 12:21:11 CEST 2012

Hi Kathrin,

> 1) Is it correct that the functional data is flipped when the anatomy is in radiological convention (left is right)?

Yes. FieldTrip does not have any of the 'conventions'. It just takes the data as it is represented in the mri-file (i.e. the block of voxels is oriented in a certain way, and FT just plots along the 3 cardinal voxel axes). For example, in DICOM images the voxel axes are often left-handed, leading to visualization according the 'radiological' convention.

> 2 ) How can I change the transformation matrix of my anatomy so that my results are plotted in neurological convention (i.e. left is left) - with ft_volumenormalise or ft_volumerealign?

If the coordinate system in which the data are defined is right-handed, you can use ft_volumereslice to get the anatomical image to be visualized in neurological convention.
This function only works on anatomical data, so you should first reslice the anatomical data and only then interpolate the functional data onto the resliced anatomy.

> Any help is very much appreciated.
>
> Best,
> Kathrin
> --
> Pflichtangaben gemäß Gesetz über elektronische Handelsregister und Genossenschaftsregister sowie das Unternehmensregister (EHUG):
>
> Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf; Körperschaft des öffentlichen Rechts; Gerichtsstand: Hamburg
>
> Vorstandsmitglieder: Prof. Dr. Guido Sauter (Vertreter des Vorsitzenden), Dr. Alexander Kirstein, Joachim Prölß, Prof. Dr. Dr. Uwe Koch-Gromus

Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,

Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793