[FieldTrip] cluster-based permutation test on time-frequency data

David Groppe david.m.groppe at gmail.com
Thu May 10 16:42:45 CEST 2012

Hi Shen-Mou,
      Cluster-based permutation tests have great power for detecting
broadly distributed effects, but this comes at the cost at being less
sensitive to less broadly distributed effects.  A good alternative to
cluster-based permutation tests is Benjamini & Hochberg's false
discovery rate (FDR) control algorithm.  Like cluster-based
permutation tests FDR control provides weak control of family-wise
error, and we've found that it has relatively good power for broadly
and narrowly distributed effects:

Groppe, D.M., Urbach, T.P., & Kutas, M., Mass univariate analysis of
event-related brain potentials/fields I: A critical tutorial review,
Psychophysiology, 2011, DOI: 10.1111/j.1469-8986.2011.01273.x
http://kutaslab.ucsd.edu/people/kutas/pdfs/2011.P.01273.pdf

I'd recommend using that FDR control procedure over the cluster-based
permutation procedure unless you are only interested in the broadly
distributed effects.
     -David