[FieldTrip] restrict source reconstruction to gray matter

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Sat Mar 31 13:30:02 CEST 2012

Hi Fred,

I am not aware of any example code on the FT-website, but I would do something like this:

mri = ft_read_mri('...');
seg = ft_volumesegment([],mri);

cfg = [];
cfg.parameter = 'gray';
cfg.smooth = 10; % or some other value
cfg.downsample = 5; % downsample with a factor of 5
seg = ft_volumedownsample(cfg, seg);

% create a dipole grid
[X,Y,Z] = ndgrid(1:seg.dim(1), 1:seg.dim(2), 1:seg.dim(3));

grid = [];
grid.pos = warp_apply(seg.transform, [X(:) Y(:) Z(:)]); clear X Y Z
grid.dim = seg.dim;
grid.inside = find(seg.gray>0.5); % the threshold value needs to be verified, you can play with the value
grid.outside = find(seg.gray<=0.5);

grid = ft_convert_units(grid, 'cm'); % I assume that the sensors are defined in cm.

Just give it a shot. I would appreciate it very much if you could try this code and maybe optimize it. When you have done that, we could make a piece of documentation on the FT-website, i.e. I will create a page (because I don't think you could do that), and you'll write the documentation ;-). Sounds like a win-win situation to me. How does it sound to you?

Best wishes,

Jan-Mathijs

On Mar 31, 2012, at 1:10 PM, Frederic Roux wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I read that it is possible to restrict source reconstruction to gray matter.
> Can anyone give me a hint on where can I find example code on how to do it?
>
> I was searching for it on the fieldtrip-webstite but couldn't find anything.
>
> Any help would as always be highly appreciated.
>
> Fred
>

> --
> Frédéric Roux, PhD student
> Department of Neurophysiology
> Max Planck Institute for Brain Research
> D-60529 Frankfurt am Main
> Frederic.Roux at brain.mpg.de
> +49(0)69630183225

Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,

Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793