[FieldTrip] one-sample cluster test

"Jörn M. Horschig" jm.horschig at donders.ru.nl
Tue Mar 27 15:48:07 CEST 2012

Dear Ulrich,

First of all, you might want to use the Neural Activity Index (NAI), as
also described in the tutorial:
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/tutorial/beamformer#source_analysiswithout_contrasting_condition

Then, to answer your question, I am tempted to say that this would be an
invalid approach when dealing with power, so in frequency-space. Power
obviously has a lower bound, so that the average of any random
collection of power values will never be 0. Though, what you are
suggesting is the same as a regular t-test, isn't it?
In case you are dealing e.g. with am LCMV beamformer, I am not quite
sure, but the null-hypothesis you suggested (amplitude==0)  sounds fair.

In any case, building a surrogate distribution same mean and variance
than your data might be a better way to deal with your problem. That
should be easily doable in Matlab without any need to implement this in
FieldTrip. And note that the MC problem is always present, but a
cluster-based correction (similar to Bonferroni, but correcting by the
number of voxels in the cluster not by the number of all voxels) sounds
legitimate to me. Afair, that's how it's done in FT.

Best,
Jörn

On 3/27/2012 3:00 PM, Pomper, Ulrich wrote:
> Dear list members,
>
> this topic was discussed some time in 2008, but it seems to me no
> conclusion was found.
>
> I would like to find source activity that differs significantly from
> zero. I could run a one sample t-test for every voxel and end up having
> a huge MC problem, or (preferably) use some kind of cluster based
> permutation statistics. However, the option for a one sample cluster
> test is not implemented in FT.
>
> Would it be correct to test the data from my experimental condition
> against a set of data containing all zeros using a cluster based
> permutation test?
>
> Any help is very much appreciated!
> Best, Ulrich

Jörn M. Horschig