[FieldTrip] Info about the power-line noise

Stan van Pelt stan.vanpelt at fcdonders.ru.nl
Tue Jul 3 09:17:47 CEST 2012

Hi Davide, Nice data (aside from what is indeed probably line noise). I see four approaches you could take, but not sure if it helps. You could just be unlucky with a very fluctuating line noise in this recording (see http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/faq/why_is_there_a_residual_50hz_line-noise_component_after_applying_a_dft_filter). The options I see: - Check if there is actually a datapadding up to 10 s. With already preprocessed data (e.g., after 3rd order gradiometer correction), it is not directly possible to data pad for subsequent dft-filtering. It happened to me not so long ago, that's why I ask. I made a workaround by first creating trials of 10s length, then do the dft-filetering, and after that cut the actual trials out. - If not already done, apply 3rd-order gradiometer correction first (ft_denoise_synthetic, or in the CTF DataEditor) - Use a bandstop-filter instead of the dft - Source-project the data. With my data that usually also gets rid of most line noise (I use LCMV to reconstruct a virtual sensor time course) Hope that helps. Stan ----- Oorspronkelijk bericht -----
-- Stan van Pelt Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour, Radboud University Nijmegen Kapittelweg 29, 6525 EN Nijmegen, Netherlands E-mail: stan.vanpelt at donders.ru.nl Website: www.ru.nl/donders/ Phone: (+31) (0)24 36 10981 Fax: (+31) (0)24 36 10989