[FieldTrip] Beamformer: different length of baseline and post baseline interval

Johanna Zumer johanna.zumer at donders.ru.nl
Mon Jul 2 22:07:08 CEST 2012

Dear Anna,

Ideally for the common filter, you want the same amount of data T(s) per
condition, where T = N x tw (and N is number of trials and tw is timewindow
length).  In your case, if the baselines for each conditions can be
combined into one general baseline, and if you happen to have 100 trials
per condition, then T_baseline = 3 x 100 x 0.5s = 150s.  If you then use
1.5s length post-baseline, then T_each_condition = 100 x 1.5s = 150s, so
you now have equal T for each condition for the common filter.

However, in order to have an equal effect of tapers and edge-effects on the
different conditions, you should use equal time window lengths in
freqanalysis.  Thus it would be better to split your post-baseline data
into 3 segments of 500ms each before calling ft_freqanalysis, which again
gives T = 100 x 0.5 x 3 = 150s.

Cheers,
Johanna