[FieldTrip] calculating correlation

Gio Piantoni g.piantoni at nin.knaw.nl
Mon Jul 2 19:39:16 CEST 2012

Hi Ingrid,

You're trying to test two very different things.
1) power-behavior correlation over trials, and differences between
subjects are just unexplained variance.
2) power-behavior correlation across subjects.

For 2) problem, I don't have anything to add to what Jan-Mathijs said.
Correlation/GLM is very easy outside Fieldtrip but I hope Jan-Mathijs
will include the GLM functions, it sounds very cool. For your
"repeated questionnaires", I'd use a summary score (difference score
for example) and do a simple correlation.

For 1) problem, you could do a 2-level analysis, like SPM does for
fMRI data: 1- you do correlation at the single-subject level, 2- you
do a t-test on the slope (or your GLM column of interest), to test if
it's different from zero. I don't know of Fieldtrip tools for this but
I don't like this approach too much, because you lose quite some power
and you don't model the trial-level noise.
I've had some success using linear mixed-effects models for these
types of research questions. There is the package lme4 in R which is
very powerful. The only pain is to export data from Matlab and read
them in R. You can get t-values from the linear mixed-effects models
for each electrode/time point/freq point (unless you average over some
dimension). Then you can use the cluster-level correction as
implemented in Fieldtrip by flipping the sign of the t-statistics.
There is some learning to do to use linear mixed-effects models but
there are very flexible.
Let me know if you need help with that. You can bribe me with the same
things Jan-Mathijs likes...

Hope this helps,

Gio

--