[FieldTrip] calculating correlation

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Mon Jul 2 08:53:51 CEST 2012

Hi Ingrid,

This calls for a statfun_corr or even a statfun_glm! It so happens that I have some of these sitting on my hard drive. As you know I am fond of beer, chocolate and co-authorships, so I am sure we can strike a deal. I have not yet had the opportunity to contribute these statfuns to FieldTrip, but now I sense a win-win-win situation: win 1 is for me (beer/chocolate/co-authorships/etc), win 2 is for you (you can compute your statistic of interest) and win 3 for the community (where you test the code, write documentation on the wiki etcetc). How does that sound for a plan?

Cheers,

JM

On Jul 1, 2012, at 10:15 PM, Ingrid Nieuwenhuis wrote:

> Hi FTers,
>
> I'd like to do two sorts of correlation calculations, and was  wondering if there's any easy way to do this within FieldTrip.
>
> 1) I'd like to calculate the correlation between performance over trials and power within a specific frequency over trials. So I have the performance measure per trial, and my chan*freq measure after freqanalysis. So for each channel I have a series of power values (trials) and I have a series of performance measures (per trial), and now like to know (first within, and then over subjects) which channel's frequency power follows (correlates) with the performance.
>
> From the walkthrough I understand I can give in these performance measures through the design (cfg.design = [0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.4 0.3 0.1 0.2]; cfg.ivar= 1;), but which method to use for ft_freqstatistics? I don't see statistics = 'correlation' or 'pearson' or 'spearman' in method = 'analytic. Also how to make the design to correlate over trials?
>
> 2) I'd like to calculate the correlation between the score on repeated questionnaire over participants with power within a frequency. So I have several power values per participant for each channel, and the repeated scores on the questionnaire for each participant. And now I'd like to calculate a value per channel reflecting the correlation over the repeats of the questionnaire and over participants.
>
> Any idea on FieldTrip settings? Both in general, is there a correlation statistics implemented, and more specifically for my question, how would I make the appropriate designs?
>
> Thanks so much!
> Ingrid
>  --
> Ingrid Nieuwenhuis PhD
> Postdoctoral Fellow
> Sleep and Neuroimaging Laboratory
> Department of Psychology
> University of California, Berkeley
> California 94720-1650
> Tolman Hall, room 5305

Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,

Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793