[FieldTrip] Common beamforming filters for different groups?

Pomper, Ulrich Ulrich.Pomper at charite.de
Mon Jul 9 09:51:56 CEST 2012

Thanks Don for you help!
Best,
Ulrich
From: fieldtrip-bounces at science.ru.nl [fieldtrip-bounces at science.ru.nl] On Behalf Of Rojas, Don [Don.Rojas at ucdenver.edu]
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 7:02 PM
To: FieldTrip discussion list
Subject: Re: [FieldTrip] Common beamforming filters for different groups?

Ulrich,

It does not make sense to me to have a common filter per pair of subjects, only between conditions within a subject (which you say you are currently doing). Since, as Johanna suggested, you are using a standard brain and standard electrode locations, rather than individual ones, you can have a common leadfield matrix for all subjects. However, I don't think you can have a common beamformer filter, since that is computed for each subject based on the covariance or cross spectral density matrix, which would be unique to each subject. Therefore, the beamformer filter, which uses both the covariance and the leadfield, would be unique for each individual. You can save time simply by having a common leadfield matrix.

Best,

Don

Don Rojas, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Psychiatry
U. of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus
Director, UCD Magnetoencephalography Lab
13001 E. 17th Pl F546
Aurora, CO 80045
303-724-4994