[FieldTrip] reverse source interpolate?

Cornelius Abel cornabel at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 2 14:52:58 CEST 2012

Hi mailing list,

I'm still struggling with the conversion of coordinates between source and
interpolated source space.
For example, if i have the position of a single grid point how do i get the
corresponding voxel  in the interpolated source structure. Or the other way
around, how to get the grid point which corresponds to a voxel (e.g the max
voxel) in the interpolated source structure.

I think this should be a common problem when working with virtual
electrodes, shouldn't it?

To make things easier i put together a example with the data from the
source tutorial where i tried to calculated the grid pos of the max voxel
in the interpolated source.

clear all;
load sourcePost_nocon;               % source structure from tutorial
mri = ft_read_mri('Subject01.mri');  % mri of subject01 from tutorial

sourceNAI = sourcePost_nocon;
sourceNAI.avg.pow = sourcePost_nocon.avg.pow ./ sourcePost_nocon.avg.noise;
sourceNAI=rmfield(sourceNAI,'freq'); % had to remove that to let

cfg = [];
cfg.downsample = 2;
cfg.parameter = 'avg.pow';
sourceNAIInt = ft_sourceinterpolate(cfg, sourceNAI , mri);

% Find position of max activity
[dum, maxindx] = max(sourceNAIInt.avg.pow(:));
[xi, yi, zi] = ind2sub(sourceNAIInt.dim, maxindx);
posInt=[xi, yi, zi];

% Plot interpolated source with position of max activity
cfg              = [];
cfg.method       = 'ortho';
cfg.funparameter = 'avg.pow';
cfg.locationcoordinates = 'voxel';
cfg.location      = posInt;          % location of max activity is marked
correctly.
figure;
ft_sourceplot(cfg,sourceNAIInt);

% Transform coordinate back to uninterpolated source???
dpos = warp_apply(inv(mri.transform), posInt, 'homogeneous');

% Plot uninterpolated source with position aquired from interpolated source
cfg              = [];
cfg.method       = 'ortho';
cfg.funparameter = 'avg.pow';
cfg.locationcoordinates = 'voxel';
cfg.location      = dpos;               % unfortunately this coordinate is
obviously wrong!!! WHY?
figure;
ft_sourceplot(cfg,sourceNAI);

Unfortunately the solution of Jan Mathijs did not work, nor did mine :(

Any ideas???

Cornelius