[FieldTrip] clusterstatistics

Gio Piantoni g.piantoni at nin.knaw.nl
Mon Feb 20 18:41:22 CET 2012

Hi Mark,

It seems to me that clusterstatistics is giving the appropriate
answer. Indeed it takes advantage of the information which can be
sparse over multiple channels/frequency/time bins. The only criterion
is that this activity is contiguous. I don't follow your example about
significant activity at X and X+100 on two different channels. There
should be some continuity between the two. As you mentioned, the
cluster can span one channels between 0 and 100 and in another
neighboring channel between 50 and 150. The cluster will correctly
include both channels and the time window between 0 and 150. This is
because there is some overlap in time between the two channels.

If you think in terms of activity, you can report that activity is
significantly different from baseline between 258 and 370 ms, over
your channels. The p-value only belongs to the cluster, not to the
single time point or channel. If you use bonferroni correction, you
can attach single p-values to each timepoint/channel.

If you have a priori hypothesis that you expect activity in Fz, you
can specify a single channel in timelockstatistics. Depending your
data, you might see more power (because you're testing fewer channels
at the same time).

Hope this helps,

Gio

--