[FieldTrip] Bug in ft_megplanar? (Version 20121209)

George Wallis wallisgj at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 17:37:09 CET 2012

Hi,

The electa machine has 2 physical planar gradiometers at each sensor
location, which are oriented orthogonally to one another (it also has a
magnetometer at each sensor location).  I believe ft_megplanar
synthesises planar gradiometer data from, for example, data collected
using axial gradiometers (I'm not sure - we've got an electa scanner,
so  I haven't used it!).  But essentially, it's creating virtual sensors
of a type the neuromag scanner already has in the hardware.

Instead, you might want to take the two planar gradiometer sets, and
combine them, so that for each sensor location you have a single
gradiometer value (you'll still have the magnetometer data in
addition).  ft_combineplanar does this: it takes the signal from each
gradiometer at each sensor location, and combines them into a single
scalar signal.  You can tweak the method it uses to do this, but in the
time domain I think it just finds the cartesian sum (sqrt( s1^2 + s2^2)
where s1 and s2 are the signals from each sensor).

best wishes,
George