[FieldTrip] Question about cluster-based statistical testing (sum of t-stats or suprathreshold t-stats?)

Eric Maris e.maris at psych.ru.nl
Mon Dec 17 16:55:06 CET 2012

Dear Artemy,

Keep in mind that in the "Bullmore-style" cluster-mass statistic

\sum_i (t_i - c_i) where t_i > c_i

the thresholds c_i are constants (i.e., independent of the data).
Importantly, these constants also enter in the permutation distribution
that is used to evaluated the significance of the maximum cluster-mass
statistic, to the effect that the Bullmore-style and the Fieldtrip-style
permutation distributions are shifted versions of each other. As a result,
the p-values that roll out of the two approaches are identical.

Best,

Eric Maris