[FieldTrip] connectivity/amplitude correlation

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Thu Aug 30 21:57:16 CEST 2012

Dear Karl,

Perhaps I can add one or two things to Lilla's reply. If I understand your question correctly, it pertains specifically to the math behind the amplitude correlation computation, and how this is done in ft_connectivity_corr. It is indeed as you thought, the dimension over which the correlation is computed is indeed the trial dimension. That is, for each channelpair-time-frequency-point the amplitude correlation is computed across trials. A lot of the intelligence already takes place in ft_connectivityanalysis. In your case ft_connectivityanalysis computes the covariance (and variance) across trials between the amplitudes. The only thing that happens in ft_connectivity_corr is the normalisation with the square root of the variance product.

Hope this helps,

Jan-Mathijs

On Aug 27, 2012, at 4:16 PM, Karl Doron wrote:

> Hi Lilla,
>
> There is a reference for Rosenberg et al, 1998 for the partialization method in the code itself but I'm not seeing any in the help section.
>
> Thanks,
> karl
>

> On Aug 27, 2012, at 2:59 AM, "Magyari, Lilla" <Lilla.Magyari at mpi.nl> wrote:
>
>> Dear Karl,
>>
>> There are four papers mentioned in the help of ft_connectivity_corr. I am wondering if any of those could answer your question.
>>
>> Best,
>> Lilla
>>
>> Karl Doron wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I'm wondering if there are any publications with the maths behind the functions for ft_connectivity_corr. I would specifically like to confirm (for a pending publication) how the amplitude correlation is computed when the function is given output from ft_freqanalysis which contains a time dimension (relevant cfg parameters pasted below). I've assumed this is occurring in the frequency domain across trials for sensor i and sensor j.
>>> cfg.channelcmb = chancmb;
>>> cfg.method     = 'mtmconvol';
>>> cfg.output     = 'fourier';
>>> cfg.keeptrials = 'yes';
>>> cfg.foi        = band(1):band(2);
>>> cfg.toi        = 1.8:0.01:3.0;
>>> Thanks for any feedback!
>>> Karl Doron, Ph.D.
>>> UC, Santa Barbara

Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,

Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793