[FieldTrip] [Eeglablist] nested hypothesis testing to decide whether to use one or two dipoles to fit a component

Maximilien Chaumon maximilien.chaumon at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 17:13:22 CEST 2012

Hi everyone,

Just to follow-up on this if anyone wanted to take that approach.
I did use the following procedure to decide whether to fit one or two
dipoles to a given component.
1) fit one dipole, compute SSE for each component map as the RV * sum of
squared inverse weights (sse(1) = EEG.dipfit.model(idip).rv .*
sum(EEG.icawinv(:,idip).^2))
2) fit two dipoles, compute SSE for each component map: sse(2)
3) assume p1 = 6 parameters estimated for 1 dipole, p2 = 9 parameters
estimated for 2 dipoles (only three momentum values more, since symmetry
imposes position for the two dipoles), n = EEG.nbchan
4) F statistic : F = (sse(1)-sse(2))/(p2-p1)/(sse(2)/(n-p2))
5) if F > finv(.95,p2-p1,n-p2) decide to go for 2 dipoles.
6) that yielded some solutions where 2 dipoles were selected but were in
fact at the same position (x == 0) with opposite momenta. Some others had
really just one dipole with large amplitude and the other much smaller. So
I discarded solutions where distance between the two dipoles was less than
5mm, or where the momentum angles were opposed, or when the amplitude ratio
between the two dipoles was bigger than 5.

The final solution is only moderately satisfying. Looking at the maps, the
2 dipole solution is still too often favored over the one dipole solution.
As Scott previously mentioned, it could be that the second dipole accounts
for error in the head model, and that's all. The F difference in SSE is
probably not a good measure of the two-dipolarity of a component.

One would probably better just screen all components by eye and spot those
that look dipolar using thumbometric visual assessment.

Best,
Max

PS: the script I used:

dofit = 1;
dorework = 0;
doplot = 1;

rootdir = '/DATA/';
cd(rootdir)
studyfile = fullfile(rootdir,'AP2.study');

if dofit || dorework
    [STUDY ALLEEG] = pop_loadstudy(studyfile);

    for i_set = 1:numel(STUDY.datasetinfo)
        EEG =
pop_loadset('filename',ALLEEG(i_set).filename,'filepath',ALLEEG(i_set).filepath);%pop_loadset(GRAB(i_set).name);
        if isfield(EEG,'peakalphafrequency')
            EEG.peakalphafreq = EEG.peakalphafrequency;
            EEG = rmfield(EEG,'peakalphafrequency');
        end

        if ~dorework
            EEG = pop_dipfit_settings( EEG, 'hdmfile',[
fileparts(which('eeglab'))
'/plugins/dipfit2.2/standard_BEM/standard_vol.mat'],'coordformat','MNI','mrifile',[
fileparts(which('eeglab'))
'/plugins/dipfit2.2/standard_BEM/standard_mri.mat'],'chanfile',[
fileparts(which('eeglab'))
'/plugins/dipfit2.2/standard_BEM/elec/standard_1005.elc'],'coord_transform',[0.67468
-15.6307 2.426 0.081417 0.0024349 -1.5728 1.1744 1.0622 1.1487]
,'chansel',[1:EEG.nbchan] );
            EEGonedipole = pop_multifit(EEG, [1:size(EEG.icawinv,2)]
,'threshold',100,'rmout','on','dipoles',1);
            EEGtwodipoles = pop_multifit(EEG, [1:size(EEG.icawinv,2)]
,'threshold',100,'rmout','on','dipoles',2);
        else
            EEGonedipole = EEG;
            EEGtwodipoles = EEG;
            EEGonedipole.dipfit.model = EEG.dipfit.onedipole;
            EEGtwodipoles.dipfit.model = EEG.dipfit.twodipoles;
        end
        % H0: one dipole.
        EEG.dipfit = EEGonedipole.dipfit;
        % still we store them both. doesn't hurt.
        EEG.dipfit.onedipole = EEGonedipole.dipfit.model;
        EEG.dipfit.twodipoles = EEGtwodipoles.dipfit.model;
        % now for every component, if the rv is much better for the
        % 2dipoles than for the 1dipole, we'll use the 2dipoles.
        for i_dip = 1:numel(EEGonedipole.dipfit.model)
            sse(1) = EEGonedipole.dipfit.model(i_dip).rv .*
sum(EEGonedipole.icawinv(:,i_dip).^2);
            sse(2) = EEGtwodipoles.dipfit.model(i_dip).rv .*
sum(EEGtwodipoles.icawinv(:,i_dip).^2);
            p1 = 6;% six params for 1dipole model
            p2 = 9;% 9 for 2 dipoles model (assume only symmetry is fixed).
            n = EEG.nbchan; % N is number of electrodes

            % F statistic
            F = (sse(1)-sse(2))/(p2-p1)/(sse(2)/(n-p2));
            EEG.dipfit.Fone2two(i_dip) = F;
            % F decision
            Fthresh = finv(.999,p2-p1,n-p2);
            if F > Fthresh % reject H0, take 2 dipoles model
                % only if x ~= 0 and the two momenta are not just opposite.
                mom = EEGtwodipoles.dipfit.model(i_dip).momxyz;
                pos = EEGtwodipoles.dipfit.model(i_dip).posxyz;
                [t p r] = cart2sph(mom(:,1),mom(:,2),mom(:,3));
                t(2) = t(2)+pi;%
                d = sqrt(sum(diff(pos).^2));
                % if the two dipoles are too close and have exactly
                % opposite angles
                cond = d < 5 && (diff(abs(t)) < 0.01 || diff(abs(p)) <
0.01);
                % or if they are exactly on the sagittal plane
                cond = cond |
abs(EEGtwodipoles.dipfit.model(i_dip).posxyz(1)) < 5;
                % or if the norm of one is much bigger than the other
                ratio = norm(mom(1,:)) ./ norm(mom(2,:));
                ratiothresh = 5;
                cond = cond | (ratio > ratiothresh || ratio <
1/ratiothresh);
                % we will still keep the one dipole fit
                if ~cond% so if not, we take the 2 dipole fit.
                    EEG.dipfit.model(i_dip) =
EEGtwodipoles.dipfit.model(i_dip);
                end
            end
        end

        % reject poor overall fits.
        EEG.dipfit.model  = dipfit_reject(EEG.dipfit.model, 20/100);
        % reject NaN rv
        for i_m = 1:numel(EEG.dipfit.model)
            if isnan(EEG.dipfit.model(i_m).rv)
                EEG.dipfit.model(i_m).posxyz = [];
                EEG.dipfit.model(i_m).momxyz = [];
                EEG.dipfit.model(i_m).rv  = 1;
            end
        end

        % removing dipoles outside the head
        % ---------------------------------
        rmdip = [];
        for index = 1:numel(EEGonedipole.dipfit.model)
            if ~isempty(EEG.dipfit.model(index).posxyz)
                if any(sqrt(sum(EEG.dipfit.model(index).posxyz.^2,2)) > 85)
                    rmdip = [ rmdip index];
                    EEG.dipfit.model(index).posxyz = [];
                    EEG.dipfit.model(index).momxyz = [];
                    EEG.dipfit.model(index).rv     = 1;
                end;
            end;
        end;
        if ~isempty(rmdip)
            fprintf('%d out of cortex dipoles removed (usually
artifacts)\n', length(rmdip));
        end;

        pop_saveset(EEG,'savemode','resave');

    end

end
%%
if doplot
    % [STUDY ALLEEG] = pop_loadstudy('AlphaPsyc2.study');

    num = [];% number of dipoles that are fit for each component
    idx = [];
    topos = {[] [] []};
    Fdiff = {[] [] []};
    idx = {[] [] []};
    dips = {};
    for i_e = 1:numel(ALLEEG)
        for i_comp = 1:numel(ALLEEG(i_e).dipfit.model)
            num(end+1) = size(ALLEEG(i_e).dipfit.model(i_comp).posxyz,1);
            topos{num(end)+1}(end+1,:) = ALLEEG(i_e).icawinv(:,i_comp)';
            dips{num(end)+1}(size(topos{num(end)+1},1)) =
ALLEEG(i_e).dipfit.model(i_comp);
            Fdiff{num(end)+1}(end+1) = ALLEEG(i_e).dipfit.Fone2two(i_comp);
            idx{num(end)+1}(end+1,:) = [i_e i_comp];
        end
    end
    for i_plot = 2:3
        figure(6548+i_plot);paste_figpos manytopos
        ntopos = size(topos{i_plot},1);
        n = ceil(sqrt(ntopos));
        m = n;
        for i_topo = 1:ntopos
            subplot(n,m,i_topo)
            cla

topoplot(topos{i_plot}(i_topo,:),ALLEEG(1).chanlocs,'conv','on','electrodes','off');

            title({num2str(idx{i_plot}(i_topo,:))
num2str(Fdiff{i_plot}(i_topo))});
            drawnow
        end