[FieldTrip] Removing channels from processed data

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Fri Apr 6 20:50:11 CEST 2012

Dear Matt,

It seems you have stumbled on some code that is still a bit under development, and apparently not really stable.

ft_selectdata should be able to do the trick for you, but I suspect a bug in ft_selectdata_new, so I'd try ft_selectdata_old instead.

To achieve this, you need to do something like this:

selchan = ft_channelselection({'all' '-E59'}, data.label);
data = ft_selectdata(data, 'channel', selchan); % notice the function's input now with key-value pairs, rather than a cfg.

We hope to find some time to improve the ft_selectdata_new soon. For the time being, could you file a bug on this issue on our bugzilla website? (www.bugzilla.fcdonders.nl)

Cheers,

JM

On Apr 6, 2012, at 8:05 PM, Matt Mollison wrote:

> Dear FieldTrippers,
>
> I'm using fieldtrip-20120405. I'm trying to remove a "bad" channel from a subject's processed data (output of ft_timelockanalysis and ft_freqanalysis). I've found the function ft_selectdata (which runs ft_selectdata_new), but when I define my cfg to remove the bad channel (cfg.channels={'all','-E59'}) and use the function, it also removes the dimord field which subsequent ft_* functions need (e.g., ft_multiplotER, ft_timelockgrandaverage).
>
> I could manually remove the channel, but I was hoping for a ft_* function that would modify the label field automatically. Manually replacing the channel with NaNs does not seem to be a solution because when I use ft_singleplotER to plot data from a ROI (i.e., multiple channels in a region) that includes this now-all-NaNs channel, nothing gets plotted (meaning a mean, and not a nanmean, function gets used to average over the ROI), so I fear the same thing will happen with other functions (e.g., ft_timelockstatistics). I also know I can use ft_rejectvisual early on in my processing, but I don't want to re-process my data (and I'm not currently using FT for artifact detection).
>
> So my question is: what's the best FieldTrip function-based way to remove a channel?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>
> --
> Univ. of Colorado at Boulder
> Dept. of Psychology and Neuroscience
> matthew.mollison at colorado.edu
> http://psych.colorado.edu/~mollison/

Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,

Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793