[FieldTrip] Oscillatory power normalization

Eelke Spaak eelke.spaak at donders.ru.nl
Mon Apr 23 11:54:42 CEST 2012

Hi Matt,

When you are comparing power across conditions, it is not really
necessary to apply an explicit correction for the dominant 1/f
component of the raw spectrum. Since this 1/f component is present in
both conditions, when you subtract power in one condition from power
in another condition (or compute the ratio, or log-ratio, or relative
change, or whatever), the 1/f will cancel out and you will only be
left with whatever is due to your experimental manipulation. This is
true because the contrast is done per frequency. (Note that comparing
activity versus baseline is just a special case of looking at a
contrast between conditions, so the same argument holds there.)

The only time when an explicit correction for 1/f is useful, is when
you want to look at raw power. The most dominant oscillatory features
(visual alpha, visual contrast induced gamma...) will usually be
evident in raw spectra without such a correction, by the way.
Correcting for 1/f can be done in many ways, the most simple one is
simply taking the logarithm of power, something like:

freqCorrected = freqUncorrected;
freqCorrected.powspctrm = log10(freqCorrected.powspctrm);

Or you could take the first derivative in the time domain (equivalent
to multiplying the spectrum with f, search for post by Robert on this
on the FT list). Or you could take the log of both the frequency- and
power axes, then fit a line, and subtract it, then transform back
(10^corrected data).

But, the main point is: in the vast majority of typical cognitive
experiments, correcting for 1/f is not needed.

Best,
Eelke